Saturday, May 30, 2009

Akeelah and the Bee

So just go with me here for a second

Thursday evening after dinner I was cruising the TV and came across the Scripts National Spelling Bee Championship. I have always enjoyed watching these young kids, ever since I saw the movie Akeelah and the Bee. So of course this meant a re-watch of the movie. So where is this going and how does it relate to running and Rock and Ice? There is a scene where Dr Larabee (Laurence Fishburne) asks Akeelah (Keke Palmer) to read a poem on his wall. I immediately got chills, and wanted to post and share it. There is excellence in all of us, we just have to embrace it and not waste it or be ashamed of it, and that by embracing it we encourage and inspire others to do the same.

Our Deepest Fear
by Marianne Williamson

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness,
that most frightens us.
We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?
Actually who are we not to be?
You are a child of God.
Your playing small doesn't serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people
won't feel insecure around you.
We are all meant to shine as children do.
We were born to make manifest
the glory of God that is within us.
It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone.
And when we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give other people
permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.

1 comment:

Kimberley said...

Amen! I love this.

We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous,
talented and fabulous?

You are brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous my love! Never, ever forget it. Yours.