Monday, December 14, 2009

Weekly Summary Dec 7 - Dec 13

12/7/2009 — 12/13/2009: 45.6km 4:40:00

After a couple of good building weeks, this week was a step back and recovery week. I'd like to go on the record that I hate these even though I know how important they are. I felt like crap all week - tired and sore, seemed like I had zero energy. Ya know you need it when....

Anyhow as previously posted we have snow. I managed to get out for a 20min snowshoe run on Thursday and a good 50mins on Saturday. Snowshoeing is a sport where you have to check your ego at the door. It can be very tough going and expecting to come near your running pace is virtually impossible. Breaking trails through 20cm fresh snow, or negotiating paths created by walkers or vehicles on the trails, and after 10mins you're huffing and puffing. How can you not get stronger?

Kim and I had a fun time Saturday, we need to get some quick Christmas shopping done and a run so we combined it. 5km run to the mall - stripped off our outer wear, shopped, purchases in the pack and run back home. Sure beats the holiday traffic, and it was a lot of fun. Sunday I did my first every FF run in the snow. Surprisingly the feet did not get too cold. It was only -5 out, but running on packed snow it warmer that frost covered grass.

The highlight of the weekend had to be being witness to the Olympic Torch Relay as it rolled through Kanata. Be sure to check it out when it is in your neighbourhood. Here is the link to the interactive map. We were lucky to get our picture with the next torch bearer, and see the passing of the flame. Awesome.







This week we are ramping backup again with Tempo's and more snowshoeing. Sunday I hope to get in a 2.5hour run. I have been going over the trails in the Gatineau Park and there aren't as many as I had hoped, but I think I'll try trails 70,71,72 and see what distance and time it takes.



1 comment:

Derrick said...

Loved hearing about you guys doing your Christmas shopping mid-run. That's great! I have this vision of you and Kim dressed as elves scurrying around the mall. Too much fun!